Surgical medical supplies or materials are considered for payment if they meet the following criteria.
• Items whose primary function is to serve a medical purpose.
• Are ordered and documented as essential in the patient’s care plan.
• They are not necessary in the absence of illness or trauma.
• They are disposable items.
Examples of these materials or supplies are, but not limited to:
1. sterile gloves, eye patches, sterile solutions
2. lines for IV, bandages for wound care
3. sterile gauze, urinary catheter (foley), nasogastric
4. colostomy bag, gloves and nasotracheal suction catheter