Puerto Rico boasts the longest Christmas holiday season in the world, culminating this month with the traditional Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastián (“San Sebastián Street Festival”). This festival, popularly known as SANSE, will be held over a period of four days (January 19 – 22) in Old San Juan, where a greater number of attendants is expected after a two-year pause due to the COVID19 pandemic. Many are hoping to bask in the festive spirit, complete with cultural events, gastronomical offerings, music, and artisans —all to the tune of “voy subiendo, voy bajando”! And to better enjoy the festival as we go up and down the SANSE, it is important to take precautions to avoid affecting our health and safety.
As we move between the various events and shows held in the different public plazas, we should also practice changing habits and behaviors to positively impact our health and safety. We encourage you to follow the recommendations below:
- Identify the location of the medical stations, especially if you have a health condition.
- Bring your maintenance medications with their appropriate labels.
- Stay hydrated, preferably by drinking water or sports drinks. If you drink alcohol, alternate your drinks with hydrating beverages.
- Do not accept ice cups or open drinks, and do not leave your drinks unattended. Bring your own cup to consume your drinks.
- Locate the public bathrooms. Many of the establishments in the area restrict access to their restrooms to consumers only.
- Bring wipes or hand sanitizer.
- If you wish, opt to wear a face mask.
- Use repellent to protect yourself from mosquito bites, and wear a hat and sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun.
- Use comfortable clothes and footwear, such as tennis shoes. Closed-toe shoes are recommended.
- Check the weather forecast before heading out, so you can be prepared for it.
- Establish a meeting point with your family or friends.
- Make sure to charge your cell phone or bring an external charger.
Let’s continue celebrating these 53 years at SANSE 2023 with a positive attitude and the warmth that defines us as a people.