Having a social life to avoid feeling lonely is important for your health. Maintaining stronger ties with the people around you can help minimize the risk of suffering from certain physical and mental health conditions.
Social isolation is characterized by a lack of social connections. It can lead to loneliness in some people. However, others may feel lonely even if they are not socially isolated.
Whereas loneliness can mean feeling alone even when you are accompanied by someone. You don’t need to be socially isolated to experience this feeling.
We have created a new free digital calendar called Socializing Is Healthy, a tool that can help overcome social isolation and loneliness, be it for yourself or for a loved one who you realize has withdrawn from social activities. This calendar will help you set aside more time in your schedule to nurture these social connections, be it with family members, friends, or to meet new people. By using this technology, you are taking a big step towards taking care of your health and wellness. The Socializing Is Healthy digital calendar provides weekly reminders and helpful tips about the importance of spending time with others.
- Click on this link and download your calendar, Socializing Is Healthy. This is not a new app. This calendar will sync with the one you regularly use on your smartphone or computer.
- Once on the webpage, select “Meet the calendar” button option.
- On the next page, go and select the button “Download the calendar”.
- Choose your type of mobile “Apple” or “Google”.
- This will take you to your calendar page, press “Subscribe”.
- Make sure to turn on alerts, then hit “Add” and voila!
See an explanatory video with all the details:
Once you subscribe, you will receive a weekly alert with advice on what you can do to rebuild those social bonds that are vital to your wellbeing. For example:
- Become a volunteer and help others in your community. Or, if you’ve already identified a loved one who is experiencing isolation, invite them to volunteer and provide them with a list of things they can do.
- Plan a get-together with people who are close to you. Or visit your isolated loved one and encourage other family members or mutual friends to visit them often as well.
- Congratulate all the mothers in your life: your mom, your aunt, your godmother, your neighbor, your friend’s mom, or your coworker. Take some time to connect with these amazing women who shower you with motherly love. Visit them, call them, and spend time with them.
- Resume the activities you enjoy: take a workout class, join a book club, or take your dog for afternoon walks at the park. Make a list of activities that you can do while connecting with others.
- Talk to your elders: call them and take a few minutes out of your day just to say hello. You will make a big difference in their lives.
When used in a positive way, technology can be your ally in obtaining beneficial results. That is why having the Socializing Is Healthy digital calendar with you will help you recognize those moments that can be used as opportunities to connect with others. It will also give you valuable insights into why socializing is so important to lead a longer, healthier life.