Our island allows us to enjoy beautiful beaches, mountains, historical cities, and many fun activities. In short, the perfect setting for our legs to take us out for a walk outdoors all year round. However, many people who suffer from tired legs or varicose veins do not take advantage of these opportunities due to the physical discomfort that these conditions cause.
At Triple-S, we want you to enjoy your island at every stage of your life. Therefore, we offer you recommendations to take care of the health of your legs.
What are tired legs and varicose veins?
Tired legs go beyond the discomfort of having exercised or walk a lot. Many people who suffered from this describe their legs as feeling heavy and stiff, even when they have not walked much or exercised vigorously. The risk of suffering from tired legs increases with age, being overweight and sitting or standing for a long time. In the case of varicose veins, the veins dilate with increased fluid retention. Both conditions, although more common in women, also occur in men and are accentuated by heat.
To alleviate your discomfort and take care of your legs, experts recommend:
- Eat a balanced healthy diet, including foods high in fiber such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and stay hydrated. This will help you stay energized during your physical activities and avoid constipation.
- Wear comfortable clothes. Wearing too tight clothes can compress your veins and worsen circulation. Likewise, wear comfortable proper footwear with support and correct fitting.
- Exercise daily. Walking for 15 minutes is effective. If you are a sedentary person, you can move and stretch at least 5 minutes every hour. While sitting, do not cross your legs as it affects proper circulation. Try to keep a tennis ball rolling under your feet while sitting.
- A massage can help to relieve leg fatigue. The massage should be done up from the feet in circles because it will activate circulation and increase the blood flow. The effect can be enhanced with some essential oil like lemon or rosemary.
- Alternate cold and warm water showers; this will help activate blood circulation. Adding two cups of Epsomsalt or baking soda to warm water in the bathtub and soaking your legs for 20 minutes will help you relax while taking pressure off and boosting circulation.
- Using a dry brush with natural bristles on the legs helps to exfoliate your skin and stimulate circulation. Start from the feet by moving in circles towards the direction of the heart for 10 to 15 minutes before taking a cold shower.
- Rub your legs with apple cider vinegar or add it to the bathtub water to reduce the varicose veins symptoms such as cramps, pain, and fatigue.
However, if the pain, tiredness and discomfort in your legs persist for more than a few days, make an appointment with your doctor. Meanwhile, take care of your legs and enjoy the summer.